New Fact Sheet For Boarding House Residents – Tenants NSW

Tenants NSW has created a factsheet explaining the rights of residents of registrable boarding houses under the Boarding Houses Act 2012.

The Act applies to certain types of boarding premises. The premises may be a house or flat, or a complex of premises. If the premises is covered by the Act, the premises are known as a ‘registrable boarding house’.

The Act applies to boarding houses whether or not they are registered, what matters is whether they should be registered. There are two types of registrable boarding house: ‘general boarding houses’, and ‘assisted boarding houses’.

The Act provides for occupancy agreements between boarding house proprietors and residents, and gives the Consumer, Trader and Tenancy Tribunal power to deal with some disputes.

The Act also requires registrable boarding houses to be inspected by the local council. Assisted boarding houses are subject to further regulation by NSW Ageing, Disability and Home Care.

Click here to read the fact sheet.